Sunday, October 11, 2015

walking the talk

Self-talk is a common theme for those of us in recovery from severe and persistent mental illness. But what does it really mean in the day to day life of someone living with a mental illness? It can be the difference between a life of misery and a life of hope.

Self-talk are those automatic thoughts or statements we make about ourselves. They are based on our past experiences, beliefs about ourselves and even our fears. The most dangerous kind of self-talk is negative and comes from a lack of self-awareness. We think or say these unflattering things about ourselves before we have had a chance to even consider the reality of our circumstances.

My favorite negative self-talk thought/statement is “I’m so lazy.” In my rational mind I know it’s not true. I know the truth is that I work hard everyday to do my job well, take care of myself and my family, contribute to the community, etc. However, this fallacy continues to find its way into my thoughts, conversations, etc.  It haunts me like a nagging tooth ache. And worse, it guides my actions.

One missed deadline or undone load of laundry and it rears its ugly head. So what do I in response? I beat myself up for not living up to some unrealistic expectation and then work twice as hard to live up to some unrealistic expectation. The reality is that as a single mom who works full time and has a mental illness, I’m doing pretty well and I’m not lazy. If the negative thought or statement were only that, we might be okay. However, when we start making decisions based on negative self-talk or begin to feel bad that is when we get into trouble.

What I try to do is process my negative self-talk like this. If I am feeling bad about myself or a situation, I stop and ask myself “what have I been thinking about?” If I can identify the thought that invariably precedes the negative feeling then I can do a reality check. So if for example I am feeling bad about not being able to buy my kid something, the preceding thought might be that I am a bad mother. Well a reality check shows the opposite. A reality check is the statement “I am a support system for my son, I give when I can and he has never wanted for anything he needed.” Therefore I’m a pretty good mom.

That last part is essential. I replace the negative self-talk with a statement that counters it. It takes practice and determination to fight negative self-talk. When I first started using this technique I would feel awkward, kind of like a phony because I would repeat the statements but I didn’t always believe them.   The great thing is you don’t have to believe them right off. After a while you will grow to believe them through repetition--- just like you did the negative self-talk.

Negative self-talk is a product of low self-esteem. If you listen carefully to it you can probably trace it back to a disapproving parent, unsupportive teacher, a bully, or our own deeply entrenched insecurities. But we have a choice in what we take to heart and act on. We can succumb to the thoughts and words that stunt our growth, prevent us from living a life of our choosing or we can fight it. In the midst of our mental health challenges and our life challenges we can choose to fight.

I don’t mean to suggest that severe mental illnesses like depression can be overcome by simply changing one’s thoughts. That would discount the devastating effects of the symptoms of mental illness. What I am saying is that we have more control over our mood and actions than we give ourselves credit for. To live the life we want to live we have to use our minds and our voices to bring that life into existence. I speak positivity into my life even when I’m not feeling it, even when my symptoms flare up, even when my circumstances would have me believe that things won’t go my way.


I would love to learn about other methods and strategies to counter negative self-talk. Please comment below.

No comments: